NAHANT — Town Administrator Antonio Barletta and the Nahant Board of Health are urging residents to remain vigilant against the spread of COVID-19 as the community maintains a high risk designation from the state.
According to public health data released on Thursday, Jan. 14, the City’s designation remains “Red,” indicating a “high risk” of spread in the community. The average daily incidence rate for the Town of Nahant is 86.1 per 100,000 residents, up from 68.5 last week.
Nahant officials report that there are currently 20active cases of COVID-19 in the community. According to the report, there have been 39 cases of COVID-19 in the community over the past two weeks.
There have been a total of 178 cases in Nahant since the start of the pandemic, according to town officials.
Residents are strongly encouraged to avoid high risk activities, especially indoor social gatherings, and all Massachusetts residents are under orders from the Governor to wear masks at all times while in public.
“We implore residents to continue being cautious as we work to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community,” Town Administrator Barletta said. “We really can’t say it enough– wear a mask, practice social distancing, limit gatherings and stay home if you’re sick. These are practices that can be lifesaving as we continue to weather this pandemic.”
Residents are reminded to always take the following precautions to prevent further spread of COVID-19 in the community:
- Remember that an infected individual can spread COVID-19 before they have symptoms, which is why social distancing — maintaining a minimum of 6 feet from others — is critical.
- Those who must go out are urged to:
- Avoid gathering in groups
- Maintain 6 feet from people outside your household
- Do not shake hands or hug
- Wash your hands often
- Those who are at a high risk for COVID-19, including those over the age of 65 and with underlying health conditions, are advised to stay home and avoid non-essential tasks and errands
- Wear a mask in indoor and outdoor spaces at all times.
- Face coverings should:
- Cover the nose and mouth
- Fit snugly and comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with either ties or ear loops
- Permit breathing without difficulty
- Be able to be washed and machine dried without damage. Face masks should be washed regularly depending on the amount of use.
Additional information regarding the Town of Nahant’s response to COVID-19 can be found online at NahantCOVID19.com.
Nahant residents with questions may additionally contact the Nahant Board of Health at 781-581-0088.